Wednesday 5 March 2014

Why I should not do this

So, after dabbling with several languages with varying levels of success. I have taken the plunge and decided to take on the big one.

It is rather off-putting to look at the all of the websites that tell English Speakers to not touch Arabic as a language.

"English speakers will never become fluent"

"Arabic Grammar is too difficult for non-native speakers"

"Written Arabic is on-par with Japanese for difficulty"

The language is daunting. Massive in geographic spread with more variants than any other global language. The one common thread that ties it together MSA (Modern Standard Arabic) is not really spoken outside of government and academia.

Also, unlike my experience with Czech, there is no Pivo encouragement. Learning to speak Arabic will not result in someone handing you the correct beer at some point.

But for some reason this one has grabbed me. It is taking on the biggest hill and even if I don't reach the top, I am sure I will learn something.

No comments:

Post a Comment